Thursday, April 2, 2009

EARTH HOUR (Schmearth Schmour!)

Really world, really?! Our planet is in serious crisis - it ain't no joke, and all we can give back is one hour of no lights one day a year?! This fact makes me sad. And, I talked to a lot of people who didn't even participate - for shame, for shame!!

I was at my friend, Ashley's house. We were celebrating her awesomeness because she's packing up and moving to St. Louis this weekend :( - but it's exciting, too; she has big plans and she's going down to live with her man - she's all growed up! So, yeah, there were about 20 of us there around the hour of the Earth, and we got out candles and turned off all the lights, and laughed, and talked, and played games, and then we realized we still had 45 minutes left... oy vey! But we made it (even 10 minutes over!), and it wasn't so bad, and it started snowing - oh so pretty, but oh so "no thanks!" at the same time - and it made me wonder why we only do this one day a year... for one hour. We are wasteful!! WASTEFUL!

My current (soon to be former) work place is located on the 68th floor of the Aon Center, and it's ridiculous but they leave the lights on 24/7 - NOT NECESSARY!! And the building claims to be going green and giving incentive to companies who comply with being a good citizen and active in conserving energy, but I don't buy it, I haven't seen any proof. Chicago has one of the highest light pollution levels in the country, hence its being one of the flagship cities for March 28th's Earth Hour... here's what it looks like darkened:Okay, it's a good idea in theory (dude agrees), but the practice is lacking, and really, will most people remember to reduce, reuse and recycle? I feel sad in saying it, but no, I don't think so. I feel like we need a big slap in the face before we get the picture, which is unfortunate. I think our government should give more incentives to people using car pools (maybe a discounted gas card for every extra pair of people you tote in your car?), bicycles, energy efficient household products... I'd really like to continue living on land with my current daily pleasures and not in some Kevin Costner-Ed Harris freak ocean world, though I do love the idea of pirates I don't think I want to be one anytime soon.

I'm so thankful we have some educated, good-intentioned people in the White House (FINALLY!); Michelle Obama and your garden - you rock! And I know that people are doing things, but I feel like we could do so much more - we need to do so much more. Education is essential, and acting on our knowledge is pivotal. And you know how I know people are doing things? I shared a train car with a-one Mr. Ed Begley, Jr. on Monday, March 23rd. I didn't realize he was an environmental activist until after the ride, but I appreciated seeing him on the train nonetheless (so much so that I creepily stared and smiled at him, while whispering about him with the lady in front of me, then a new guy got on and recognized him and I excitedly fisted the air; I realized how creepy my behavior was and buried my nose in a book for the duration of the ride, I didn't even look up when I got off at my stop - A) because I would've been creepy again, and B) because I was at a really exciting part.) because seeing him made me happy/I got another celebrity sighting AND a story to tell friends/family.

So, let's make a conscious effort to be better about our 3R's... turn off lights when you leave a room, or open the blinds if it's during the daytime (PS -candles are sexy, too); don't leave the water running/take faster showers; carpool or take public transportation, or ride your bike or WALK (get a little fresh air in your lungs, child!); plant a garden in your yard (and start/continue a COMPOST pile!), or if you don't have a yard, go to the neighborhood garden and lend a hand... there are things we can do, we just need to do them. I like seasons, and animals, and at the rate we are going, we're losing some of these things very fast.

And to close with the words of Jerry Springer, "take care of yourself, and each other." Okay? DO IT!!! Do it. What are you waiting for!?!?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what boggles my mind? That Mayor Daley is considered a "green" mayor and somehow Chicago can't even put together a mandated recycling program for its residents. I can't even tell you how little garbage my husband and I produce now that we're in the 'burbs. We recycle so much more, plus we compost in our yard. It kind of rules.

AshMastandrea said...

YAY! Earth Hour was so fun! And, you forgot to mention the sweet shirt you got me...you know...the one made of recycled plastic bottles! Thanks again!