Friday, January 9, 2009

Tegan and Sarah Meet Bjork at an Acid Party

That's what CocoRosie sounds like to me. I was going to tell you what album specifically because I thought the "Best of CocoRosie" was just another iTunes mix-up, but it seems as if I have songs from all albums due to a friend's mixing generosity.

But the whole "Tegan and Sarah meet" thing hit me when I was listening to WNYC's "Best of 2008" list on NPR, and Santogold's "L.E.S. Artistes" came on and reminded me of Tegan and Sarah's "Walking With a Ghost" -- when's that from, '06? Crazy! I haven't listened to those ladies since then, and I think their last album, "The Con" received good press. Anyway, that all reminded me that I wanted to flood your mind with tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunes!

A friend just introduced me to The Hype Machine's Music Blog Zeitgeist 2008, and I have to say bloggers got good taste. Real good taste. Except for the Hold Steady praise; I do not like them, and I've tried, I gave 'em a shot. Do not pass GO, Hold Steady. Do not collect $200. Monopoly's a cut-throat game*.

Here's the rest of what NPR-ers say was musically tasty and delicious in oh!EIGHT. You got everything from radio-friendly to guitar-thrashing to African bongos, classical music, jazz, kids, the virtually unknowns, environmentally friendly, and more! How fun, how fun!

The Onion had this to say about their top 30 albums of 2008.

And still, I must lament, there are so many artists I have not had the time (nor dollars! yikes, bikes! that's another post in itself.) to enjoy, from '08 and prior... I just hope that time will help and weed out the crap - like the next Hold Steady, THE BOSS Wannabes - yep.

Okay, so it's not a "Best Of" site, but Pitchfork digs tunes, it's just what they do. Reputable Record Reviews.

*Chuck Norris owns the greatest poker face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 world series of poker despite him holding just a joker, a 2 of clubs, a 7 of spades, and a green number 4 from Uno and a monopoly 'get out of jail free' card. -- Do you remember that time I thought I saw Chuck Norris walking down Michigan Ave on my way to work? I sure do. Walker, Texas Ranger, you always make me laugh.

No comments: