Monday, January 5, 2009

2008: The Year of Music

Sure, it's over, but 2008 sure did bring us some delicious tunes that will last well into a while. I know you've probably already read everybody and their brother's list of the Best of's... but here's one more. Jambase, an awesome site to help you find your favorite artists playing near you, came up with their own way to present the list by going to those artists you love and asking their opinions on the matter first-hand. So maybe you'll find an artist's taste you can relate to, or you can get ideas for other types of genres you might dig.
.
Anyway, here's my stab at the best albums and shows I experienced over the past 12 months:
.
**Note: limiting to five albums and three shows is a difficult task, and know that I am only one person, with a small income and a slow computer, and I did not, surprisingly, acquire all new music that was released in 2008; though I'd like to think I came close, and listened to a lot - there's still more album purchasing and sharing to do. In no order.
.
Albums
1. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular with the 2005 Time to Pretend EP tacked on
2. Of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping
3. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
4. The Fireman - Electric Arguments
5. TV On the Radio - Dear Science

Concerts
1. Of Montreal - Rothbury Festival, Michigan, 07/04
2. Beck - Aragon Ballroom, Chicago, 10/3
3. George Clinton and the P-Funk Allstars - Cubbie Bear, Chicago, 10/17
.
**And yes, I'll have to agree with Mr. Williams that Zappa Plays Zappa at Rothbury was something to behold.
.
2009, you have some standards to break.
.
Anybody have thoughts on their favs? Go ahead and post 'em; share!

No comments: