Monday, November 3, 2008

He's a Motherfucking Headliner, Bitch. You don't even know it!

Yeah, that's right. Of Montreal, Kevin Barnes, live in concert. AHHHHH!mazing!!!

You can listen to the DC concert, courtesy of NPR, here. Pretty great, but hearing it in person - waaaaaaaaaay better. Can you even imagine!?

After this show I may have to make a vow never to attend an all ages show, ever again. Ever. Never ever. Oh, it was such a wonderful concert, but comprised of such a rowdy/obnoxious youth attendance up front, where all my friends and I wanted to do was dance. No, they wanted to mosh. But, I digress on that subject until later...

THE SHOW! The show! Magical, theatrical, sexual, unexplainable!! Where to begin!?! They played everything I wanted to hear. Every song had a choreographed routine of silliness that I enjoyed when I wasn't being hurled from one edge of the crowd to the other. From Gallery Piece to Plastis Wafers, Id Engager, Women's Study Victims... basically the entire new collection from Skeletal Lamping. And one thing I really liked, because Skeletal Lamping is one of those cohesive albums that flows fantastically from one song into the next, is when they stayed true to that - example Touched Something's Hollow to An Eluardian Instance. Oh, and my friends and I lamped. We lamp-lamp-lamped until we couldn't lamp anymore... because the show was over. In addition to all that, they re-vamped their old stuff, rocking out Oslo in the Summertime, She's a Rejector, and So Begins Our Alabee like nothing I've ever heard/seen before, extending riffs and awesomeness. They busted out Eros' Entropic Tundra for a mellower. Gronlandtic Edit was a part of their encore, and such a crowd pleaser, as was Disconnect the Dots. Then, they finale-finaled with Smells Like Teen Spirit, and oh-my-god. The moshing was totally okay then, I think they played it because they read the crowd as being so rowdy. I've seen them do a handful of Prince covers (and I wish I had examples but I didn't own Prince albums as a child - probably due to his sexuality and my mother attempting to prevent me from the sexual exposures of MTV, 90210, Melrose Place, and Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman - and stuck to the radio, though I do appreciate him as an artist, or a former artist, and I'd like to expand my musical collection to include him... friends, can you help?) before, and they were, Wow. When did Prince start appearing at other people's shows? That's how good it was. Of Montreal, they're perfectionists. Maybe it has something to do with Kevin Barnes creative mentality/process, and by maybe, I mean it definitely does. Wow! Writing about this makes me want to experience it again. So great, so GREAT!!! Of Montreal and Kevin Barnes can do no wrong in my eyes. He may be slightly - okay, all crazy, but he's a lyrical and musical genius, and I'm gonna say it - I love him, his work, him. Yeah. I LOVE Of Montreal!!!So, those punk moshy kids. Yeah, they were annoying, yeah they detracted from my enjoyment/experience in the concert because I was fighting to dance, but at the same time. They gave me a good story to tell. Granted, I took a lot of shit to be able to tell the story. I mean, these kids were rooooooooooowdy!! But it was so weird that when one kid lost their glasses, they stopped and helped, but when my friends and I (and other non-moshers around us) asked them to stop, they did not, and pushed instead. So, I took it, for a while, defending my space, trying to focus on the music, the man, the Legend, but then, I got a big ole shove that sent me flying and I lost it. I dove into the mosh and went crazy on kids, jumping on people, throwing elbows, feeling worked up and angry - it surprised me, then it became to much and I grappled to get out and to my friends who laughed at me and shook their heads. Then, I got pushed again, and my friend, Libby, got super serious and went in for some smack-down herself. This went on for the better latter part of the show, and by the end, when walking to the coat check line, we were all clutching our backs and walking on a slant, ooohing and aahhhhing, exclaiming that we aren't as young as we used to be all the while stretching.

**Note: I'm actually posting this 11/14/08, but the way blogspot saves drafts, it keeps the initial date, or at least the way my settings are. Annnnnnnnnnyway, last week I went to the Ghostland Observatory show (18+) with a couple friends and as we were ascending the stairs to the dance floor, I noticed one of the moshers from Of Montreal. Hey dreads! I shouted. He turned and looked at me, smiling, "Ha. Yeah?" No moshing tonight, alright!? Then he said some smart ass comment about how he and his friends always mosh at concerts and if I didn't like it then I shouldn't be that close to the stage, and then I said, Well, maybe you should go to concerts where it's appropriate to mosh, douche. I never claimed to be mature, PS.

Also, here's another OM lover's review of the show.

No comments: