Friday, September 12, 2008

Rockin' South of the 38th Parallel

NPR and Rolling Stone are my musical bibles, just so you know. Y'know?

The latest awesome audio adventure brought to us from NPR is an Oriental journey into 60s psychedelia. I dig this Shin Jung Hyun. Trippy beauty. The Pearl Sisters version of "Don't You Want Somebody to Love" is right on and they are able to effortlessly infuse their own style into the song, besides singing in Korean. I feel like they should have a music video where they're playing the song riding an electric wave. That'd be groovy! "In A Kadda Da Vida" is whoa, 16 minutes of pure electricity, and he riffs off of Mr. Pickett's Funky Broadway in the middle. The "Sound Vol. 3" makes me wish I was sitting in a smoky, lounge - groovin' and swayin'. I'm just sayin'. "The Exciting" gets me excited. I like the name of this group, too, The Yip Juns!! How fun!!

If you're interested in the Korean psychedelic and acid folk movement in the late 50s/early 60s, you can check out more here. I love seeing influences cross waters and language barriers.

Art is awesome.

No comments: