Tuesday, March 22, 2011

now she just mourns

I had wanted to stop. Really, I did.

I had wanted to stop, but I was in a hurry, and the fact that other people on the sidewalk did nothing seemed  as good an indicator as any that nothing was the matter.

I looked back as I ran away. The little boy screaming and wailing as he stood motionless on the pavement.

I figured from everyone's reactions - which were none at all - that he was being punished for being a naughty boy. I was a foreigner in a foreign land unaware to their customs.

I really wanted to turn and go back, but what would I have said? What could I have said? I didn't speak the language, and children tended to be frightened by my appearance more often than not.

No one else even looked at him, but their eyes followed me as I ran past.

I later learned that the boy had been separated from his mother earlier in the day, and sometime after I saw him he had wandered into traffic probably in hopes of finding her.

Upon reflection I can see that his behavior was more out of fear than the anger or shame that comes as a reaction to reprimanding parents.

Why didn't anyone else stop?
Were we all on the same page?

What about when he started toward the street? Was it because he was so small, and it was so dark? Did no one see him? There was never a lack of people in that place.

I was sad and confused when I heard the news. Why hadn't I stopped?

I had to log miles before dinner with friends.

That boy will never have a chance to log miles, or dine with friends, or do anything else for that matter.

I still think about him and what should have happened.

His mother would've been so grateful, now she just mourns.
_________________________________________________
I saw a boy throwing a fit on a sidewalk I was running in Korea's late fall 2009. I hope he was being punished and that his mother or father or caretaker was watching from a shop window... a tragedy only in my mind.

PS - I was semi-inspired ("slash" robbed/stole/thieved) by Ms. Joyce Carol Oates' "Heat" http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/heat.html beautiful story. Today was beautiful. I'm happy and I hope you are too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THIS makes me happy! :D